Skip to main content

Advising vigilance with vaccines, WECHU says Windsor saw its first measles case in 20 years last month

CTV Windsor: Measles precautions
Share

Windsor-Essex saw its first confirmed case of measles in 20 years at the end of last month, according to the region's medical officer of health who is reminding people to stay up to date with their vaccines ahead of March Break.

"As people go out of the country, we want them to be aware of the risk of measles. Earlier this year, the World Health Organization alerted that the risk of measles is 30-fold," said Dr. Mehdi Aloosh.

The sole measles case in Windsor-Essex was confirmed four days after a Jan. 26 warning was issued for a "possible measles exposure." It stemmed from an overseas flight between Romania and Toronto's Pearson Internatonal Airport.

Measles cases have recently spiked in Europe and the United States. According to Ontario's chief medical officer of health, there are four active cases of measles in the province.

Amid the worldwide surge of meales cases, the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) issued a reminder to the community Wednesday to ensure they are up to date with their vaccinations, including the measles vaccine, prior to travelling for March Break.

"Individuals who are not fully vaccinated can get measles when travelling to countries where the disease is circulating. Please contact your health care provider to confirm whether you are immune to measles. If needed, measles vaccination should ideally be given at least two weeks before departure," WECHU's statement reads.

Calling the measles virus "highly contagious," the health unit said it spreads easily in the air when an infected person coughs, talks, or sneezes, and then another person breathes in the virus particles in the air, even up to two hours after the person with the infection has left a closed space.

"It can also be spread by direct contact with the mucus or saliva (spit) of a person with measles. Like many other viruses, the measles virus can enter a person’s mouth or nose through kissing or sharing food and drinks," the WECHU added.

The public is advised to alert their health care provider if they start to have the following symptoms, "with or without a blotchy red rash" which starts on the face and then moves down the body:

  • High fever
  • Cough
  • Runny nose
  • Red and watery eyes
  • Tiny white spots on the inside of the mouth and throat

Anyone exposed to measles is urged to isolate themselves and immediately call a health care professional.

"In Windsor and Essex County, we have already had our first case of measles after two decades," said Aloosh.

"So this is a reminder for our community as they pack and they prepare for travelling, bring their sunscreen and mosquito repellant — to talk to their physician about their specific health needs and ensure they are up to date with the vaccines."

— with files from CTV's Stefanie Masotti.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

'Rust' armourer gets 18 months in prison for fatal shooting by Alec Baldwin on set

A movie weapons supervisor was sentenced to 18 months in prison in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer by Alec Baldwin on the set of the Western film "Rust," during a hearing Monday in which tearful family members and friends gave testimonials that included calls for justice and a punishment that would instill greater accountability for safety on film sets.

Donald Trump hush money trial, explained

All of Donald Trump's trials and the characters involved make for a complicated legal mess, particularly when the four criminal cases are added to Trump's civil liability for defamation and sexual misconduct and for business fraud. Here's what to know to get up to speed on this first criminal trial, starting April 15, 2024.

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

Stay Connected