Leamington greenhouse fined $120K after worker received fatal shock
Published Friday, October 16, 2020 2:26PM EDT
Great Lakes Greenhouses in Leamington, Ont., on Monday, Nov. 19, 2018. (Michelle Maluske / CTV Windsor)
WINDSOR, ONT. -- A Leamington greenhouse has been fined $120,000 after a worker died from an electrical shock, according to the Ministry of Labour.
Great Lakes Greenhouses Inc., a cucumber grower, was convicted on Friday.
The ministry says a worker received a fatal electrical shock while working at the greenhouse facility on Nov. 19, 2018.
The electricity had not been properly locked out as required by law, according to a news release form the ministry.
Following a guilty plea, Great Lakes Greenhouse was fined $120,000 in provincial offences court in Windsor by Justice of the Peace Susan Hoffman.
The court also imposed a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act.
The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.