Chatham fire caused by propane heater
Published Saturday, March 1, 2014 3:13PM EST
fire generic cp24 stock
A multi-unit dwelling in Chatham sustained $15,000 damage Saturday afternoon.
A fire official says the fire at 22 Baxter St. started when a homeowner was trying to thaw pipes with a propane heater.
Crews were called to the home shortly after 12 p.m. and worked quickly to limit damage to the unit.
Firefighters have tips to help prevent frozen pipes:
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is cold, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes.