Two dead in Newcastle after carbon monoxide from gas generator seeps into house
NEWCASTLE, Ont. - Police in Durham Region say two Newcastle residents are dead after carbon monoxide seeped into their home from a gas generator running in the garage.
Police say emergency services were called to the home at about 3:30 p.m. Monday regarding several people who were feeling ill.
A 52-year-old man and his 72-year-old mother were rushed to Lakeridge Health Bowmanville but did not survive.
Their names have not been released.
Police say a gas-powered generator was running in the garage to supply electricity to heat the house, and although there was no access to the house from the garage, the dangerous fumes still got inside the home.
Police warn that running a gas generator, barbecue or a similar device too close to a residence can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.