A community is mourning the sudden death of an Amherstburg teen, who died over the weekend.

A candle light vigil was held Monday evening for 17-year-old Michael Matte who was accidentally poisoned by carbon monoxide.

Many who turned out to the baseball diamond next to General Amherst High School remembered Matte for his sportsmanship on and off the field.

Eric Wismer said he Matt was very well liked. “He always knew how to make you smile.”

Word and condolences spread quickly about the untimely death of the teen through social media after police released the news the Grade 12 student was discovered without vital signs in his Simoce Street garage on Saturday.

“Mikey had an amazing talent to make everyone in a room smile & laugh,” @J_Charron Tweeted. “Be strong Bulldogs.”

Friends are using the hashtag #OneTeamOneGoalFORMIKE to share their thoughts and memories of the football player.

“Thursday, we play for him, Thursday we win for him,” tweeted Jarrod Manherz.

Amherstburg police are now investigating and say carbon monoxide poisoning is the preliminary cause of death. Investigators say there was no power in the residence and a small generator was being used to run electrical equipment in the garage.

Investigators say carbon monoxide is difficult to detect, as it is a colourless, odorless gas. Symptoms of the poisoning include shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness.

In light of this tragic death, officials caution that there should always be good ventilation when operating any gas powered item.

“These types of accidents are unfortunate, however are preventable when appropriate precautions are used,” says Amherstburg police Sr. Const. Shawn McCurdy.

Visitation for the young man has been moved to Friday to avoid any conflict with the General Amherst Football game on Thursday.

It’s scheduled at James H. Sutton Funeral Home from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m., and later from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. Friday.

The Funeral Mass will be at St. John the Baptist Church at 10:30 a.m. Saturday.