Charges pending against building owner after fatal Curry Ave fire
Windsor fire officials say charges are pending after a fatal fire on Curry Avenue.
A female tenant died from smoke inhalation in the blaze at 395 Curry Ave. on Saturday.
Officials say the owner will face charges for non-compliance of smoke and CO alarms.
The owner of the property was on scene Tuesday morning.
He tells CTV News he feels he has done nothing wrong. He says there were working smoke detectors that he and his tenants observed as recently as last summer.
"We did find a couple of smoke alarms, older, very old smoke alarms but they were non-operational, completely non-operational," says Windsor fire assistant deputy Andrea DeJong.
Windsor fire says the caused was determined as unattended cooking on stove. Damage is estimated at $150,000.
"The take home message for us is ensure you have working smoke alarms and working carbon monoxide alarms as the law requires,” says DeJong. “But also I think the key point is it's our number one cause of fires in Windsor is that it's a cook top fire, so never leave your cooking unattended."
The investigation into the fire is complete.