Charges after handgun, drugs discovered during traffic stop
A man and a woman from Leamington are facing numerous charges following a traffic stop on Highway 77.
Members of the OPP say they stopped a grey BMW north of Leamington on Saturday for travelling slower the speed limit.
Police say they detected a strong odour of marijuana from inside the vehicle. The BMW was searched and according to police a loaded handgun was uncovered as well as a small amount of marijuana and an unknown quantity of fentanyl patches.
As a result of the search Gavin Brown, 31, and Chantelle McFarlane, 29, have been charged with the following offences:
- Possession of marijuana
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Failing to comply with conditions of an undertaking
- Occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was a prohibited or restricted weapon
- Possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
- Transportation of a firearm weapon prohibited device or ammunition in a careless manner
- Possession of a schedule I substance-fentanyl
Brown has also been charged with failing to comply with a probation order. Brown and McFarlane are expected to appear in court at a later date.