Tecumseh fire officials say careless smoking caused a garage fire on Lesperance Road.

Estimated damage is $200,000.

Crews were called to 385 Lesperance Road, near Oliver Drive, Wednesday afternoon.

Assistant Chief Bob Hamilton says the garage attached to the house was completely gutted. The rest of the house had smoke damage.

An elderly couple was home at the time and managed to get out safely.  Fire officials are crediting working smoke alarms, saying everyone should be using the life-saving devices.

The original call was upgraded and additional units had to respond to the scene. Firefighters managed to put out the fire around 2:15 p.m., but continued to work on hot spots.