Cameron Chevalier spent eight nights in hospital after being bitten by a rattlesnake.

The 11-year-old boy is telling his story to warn other people about the danger of encountering a poisonous snake after he was bitten last September in LaSalle.

Cameron and his mother were walking in Brunet Park when it happened.

He thought the snake was a fox snake so he picked it up.

“You know if you hear the rattle to walk away,” Cameon says. “But I didn't hear the rattle, so why would I think this was a rattle snake?

"Even if you looked at the tail you would have never known it was a rattle snake."

His hand and arm began to swell and he was rushed to hospital where he had surgery to remove the venom.

An incision was made from his wrist to the elbow.

A rattlesnake expert, Dr. Terence Fargher, told the family that the Massassauga is a dangerous snake.

"There's a misconception out there that that if you’re bit by a rattle snake, you'll be sick, vomiting like in the movies, but what he had was a more typical reaction where it's localized and you get swelling,” says Cameron’s father Keith.

He is still recovering from the bite by the Massassauga snake, the only poisonous snake in Ontario.

Cameron’s arm is still numb.

His doctor says it will take a couple of years to fully recover.

 “I want to bring awareness that they are around here. A lot of people don't know that."

The Ministry of Natural Resources advises if you encounter a rattle snake, do not handle it. Slowly walk away. Be on alert when walking on trails.

And if you are bitten, remain calm, call emergency services, restrict movement and get anti-venom medication.