The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is warning the residents of Pelee Island to not drink from Lake Erie, as a blue-green algae bloom threatens water quality.

Associate medical officer of health, Dr. Gary Kirk says water along the shoreline and in private well water systems could be compromised. As a result, island residents should only drink from bottled water. Boiling water will not eliminate any toxins the algae bloom could create.

Beaches are closed and residents are asked to not swim, bathe or cook with surrounding water. Residents on the mainland, along with islanders are asked to not eat fish caught from the lake.

Water contaminated by blue-green algae can cause itchy, irritated eyes and skin. If swallowed, people may develop a headache, fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting or more serious health effects.

If you think you’ve developed any of these symptoms, you should consult your doctor.