Flood victim taking legal action against insurance provider
Published Wednesday, October 5, 2016 5:55AM EDT
Some flood victims in Windsor, Tecumseh and Lakeshore are upset at the prospect that insurance companies will only cover up to $5,000 damage.
One of the homeowners affected, a Windsor lawyer, is now taking legal action.
Tony Grassi claims last week’s torrential rain caused $50,000 damage in his 1,800 square foot basement.
Grassi feels he was let down by his insurance company, Allstate, after he was told that only a portion of the damage done to his finished basement would be covered.
According to Grassi, he was told by an Allstate representative that the insurance policy he signed off on included a clause that capped their responsibility at $5,000.
But Grassi tells CTV News “I did read the paper work and it wasn't clear that there was any type of cap whatsoever."
Grassi is now launching a class action lawsuit against Allstate, and says he has received nearly 200 inquiries.
In a statement released to CTV News, Allstate Canada says “we follow industry practices and use external data as well as Allstate's claim experience in an area when factoring how we determine coverage we provide customers."
The statement goes on to say "we also have clear guidelines and business protocols to guide agents and customers through the details of their policy so they understand their coverage at time of purchase."
According to Grassi, Tuesday was the first time an Allstate representative went through his house. He was pleased to hear the company would cover the cleanup of the basement and the work is worth about $15,000.
But Grassi says he still feels shortchanged and plans to continue with his lawsuit.
If you are on the scene of breaking news and capture it with your mobile device, share your pictures or video with MyNews.